Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Color of Us

     The Colors of Us by Karen Katz is an adorable contemporary realistic fiction prose picturebook for young readers aged approximately six years and older. A little girl, Lena, and her mother explore their world, describing what people look like along the way by comparing skin colors to those of different foods. "We go to the playground where we see my friend Sonia. 'Sonia is a light brown,' Mom says. 'Just like creamy peanut butter,' I say, 'My favorite'" (Katz, 2003). Scenes like this continue throughout its entirety, and I just think it's the cutest little book.
      I enjoy Katz's friendly style. I have Peek-A-Baby, a flap-book that my infant son just loves. So it is no surprise that the first time I read The Colors of Us, I fell in love with how cute this book was. I found it interesting how The Colors of Us described differences in people's skin colors in a tasteful (pun intended) manner. However, I am not a fan of describing people by the color of their skin. When I hear people in public say things like "It's by that black woman", I find this offensive. Even though The Colors of Us is tactful in explaining race, I don't think it is a necessity to explain such differences, because race or ethnicity doesn't define a person. But that is just my personal my opinion. I later read from her website that Karen's inspiration for the main character, is her daughter, Lena, she and her husband adopted from Guatemala. What an inspiring story!
      Page 24 of our text, Literature and the Child, claims that contemporary realistic fiction text has a credible storyline, with a set conflict, and bold characterization. The illustrations should also be in compliance by enhancing the characterization and the plot from the text. Again on page 235 we are given a checklist for the quality of contemporary realistic fiction. 
  • The Colors of Us has a storyline that illuminates the excellence within characters
  • The Colors of Us has a vivid, realistic setting that enhances the story
  • Lena and other characters are credible, non-stereotypical, multidimensional, and  grow over time
  • The problems within The Colors of Us are believable and solved with respectful and culturally sound ways.
  • Young readers can easily understand the plot.
  • The theme is applicable (I mean, what child can't relate to food?)
  •  The dialogue and thoughts are logical and realistic
     The illustrations are equally as impressive as the elaborate text. The Colors of Us is told from an artist's point of view, so there are a plethora of artistic elements used. "A range of values creates drama or movement" (Galda, Cullinan, & Sipe, 2011). While there isn't much movement in the illustrations, there is certainly a range of color to promote dramatic depictions of diversity. The very fine lines exaggerate facial features, and because the pictures focus so much on the people, the shapes are mostly geometrical. The design is whimsical meets reality, with a fine line dabbling in both categories. While the people are very much attractive and realistic, the artistry is still somewhat eccentric. For example, the arms on people are very wavy and almost silly. This is part of the reason why I love Katz's style so much! It just all blends together so well for excellent literature.
      I have already stated that I don't necessarily care for these types of books that blatantly point out differences in skin color, so I feel as though I would be apprehensive as a teacher to add this to my classroom's individual library. However, I have a great idea for a motivational activity that could involve this book. Once a week, I would take 4-5 students to the library to check out a multicultural book of their choice that isn't already in the Classroom Library. Students will check out a book of their choice, and I will read one book per day during Reading Circle Time. After reading the Book of the Day, we would engage in activities. If The Colors of Us were chosen by a student, we could do several things revolving around it! Since this book is told from the perspective of a painter, and is ultimately about the different colors of food, we could paint foods! I would encourage students to paint their favorite food from memory. I would allow them to dry by hanging them on a clothesline in the back of the room, and allow them to hang on display before they take them home! Karen Katz is such a great author, she even has a segment of her website designated for teachers, and has a link leading to activities for The Colors of Us! One great idea she had is "make a large map of the world on brown butcher paper. Draw the equator. Paste each child’s head on the part of the world from where their ancestors originated"
(Katz, 2012). What a great idea!

My reader response questions would be:
  1. What food does your skin look like?
  2. What does that food taste like? Do you like it?
  3. This book talks a lot about the differences in people. How did this make you feel?



References
        Galda, L., Cullinan, B. E., & Sipe, L. R. (2011). Literature and the Child. (7th ed., pp. 24-260). Belmont: Wadsworth Pub Co.  
        Katz, K. (2003). The Colors of Us. (1st ed.). New York, NY: Owlet Paperbacks.
        Katz, K. (2012, November 25). Activities for The Colors of Us. Retrieved from http://www.karenkatz.com/colors of us.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment